This is a nice easy project made from completely reclaimed wood. My wife and I wanted to plant some vegetables but we live in a suburb with not very much space. I decided to make a couple of these planters to grow a few plants.
I bought a lot of reclaimed pallet wood a while back so I got to use that for this project. I designed these to be 2 feet long, about 12″ deep and about 10″ wide. I only wanted to put a few plants in each planter so I didn’t need a lot of space. I first lined up my pallet wood pieces to find the straightest, least warped pieces. When I found three boards that lined up well together I marked them so I knew where they would line up. I stacked them all up, clamped them together, and cut them all at once with my miter saw.
I laid them out on my bar clamps and glued them together along their edges. I also used a scrap 2×4 with blue tape along one side to clamp along the end to keep the boards flat as the glue dried. The blue tape keeps the glue from sticking to the board when it’s clamped down.
After the long sides were glue up I used the same process to make the two end pieces. With all four sides dry I put them together to make the box. I used a carpenter’s square to make sure the corners of the box were square during the glue-up.
I wanted the bottom of the box to be somewhat inset in the sides. To do this I used my trim router to cut a groove all around the inside edges. It took a couple of passes with the router using different depths to get the groove deep enough.
To make the bottom of the planter I used thin pallet boards cut to length and laid across the bottom. I did not try to push these pieces completely together because I wanted to leave some space between them for excess water to drain out. I did glue each board in and used a pneumatic brad gun to help secure all of the sides and the bottom pieces.
The last step was to sand all of the surfaces with an random orbit sander. I did not put any kind of finish on this project because there would be vegetables in it and I didn’t want any chemicals leaching from the finish into the roots of the plants we were going to eat.
This was a fun and easy project to do, and it was something practical for my wife and I to use. If you liked this project or got value from my post, please consider subscribing or sharing. Thanks for reading!